PhD in Nursing
To support continuous advancements in nursing science research, education, and practice, the Institute of Medicine seeks to double the number of nurse faculty and researchers with doctoral degrees by 2020.
Walden’s PhD in Nursing prepares you to play a key role in leading advancements in hospitals, educational institutions, public policy organizations, pharmaceutical companies, and other health-related settings.
Receive a 20% tuition reduction if you reside outside the US and start this program today. Contact one of our enrollment advisors at 855.203.8964 to learn more.
Complete the Request Information form
An enrollment advisor will contact you to answer your questions.
Choose the program that’s right for you, then apply.
Get started. Request Information
Prepare to conduct scientific research at the highest levels in your field, shape healthcare policies and procedures, or educate the next generation of nurses in Walden’s PhD in Nursing program. This research-focused program offers interdisciplinary coursework that prepares you to lead and collaborate with diverse healthcare professionals in a wide range of settings, including hospitals, universities, and health-related industries. Concentrating on your individual career goals and interests, you can choose a focus area in education, healthcare administration, interdisciplinary health, leadership, or public health policy.
Featured Focus Areas:
- Education: The Education focus area helps prepare students to research, design, implement, and evaluate educational programs for nurses, including formal academic programs that lead to a degree or certificate and more informal continuing education programs designed to meet individual learning needs.
- Healthcare Administration: Through the Healthcare Administration focus area, you can prepare to manage and implement healthcare programs and services by applying best practices in leadership, ethics, and strategic planning. Explore principles that impact healthcare decisions and practice as well as the theoretical foundations of governance and public policy
- Interdisciplinary: Design an Interdisciplinary focus area that reflects your professional goals and interests, broadens your perspectives, or enables you to work more effectively with diverse populations and teams. Choose courses from the four other PhD in Nursing focus areas: Education, Healthcare Administration, Leadership, and Public Health Policy.
- Leadership: Become a nurse leader who can work effectively with diverse workforces and communities in a variety of political and economic settings. Through the Leadership focus area, you can build competencies in organizational change management, team building, mediation, collaboration, and systems thinking and planning.
- Public Health Policy: Learn to design, implement, manage, and influence public health policy at the local, state, and federal levels. Explore how data is used to form policy recommendations, examine microeconomic and macroeconomic models, understand the influence of public finance on policy decisions, and discover the tools and techniques used to evaluate the impact of social programs.
For assistance deciding which program fits your goals, call an enrollment advisor at: